The International Code and North America: Time for meaningful implementation
Welcome to the 2018 International Code Training
INFACT Canada is pleased to present, together with the IBFAN International Code Documentation Centre (ICDC), a 3-day Code Training / Workshop. The training will be held May 14, 15 and 16, in Toronto.
- Yeong Joo Kean Constance Ching David Clark Evelyn te Nyenhuis
- Elisabeth Sterken
- Yeong Joo Kean, LLB, legal advisor on Code legislation
- Constance Ching, Programme Manager
- David Clark, LLB, UNICEF legal advisor on the Code and BFHI
- Evelyn te Nyenhuis, RN BScN IBCLC, BFI Implementation Lead
- Public Health Branch, Community and Health Services Department
- Elisabeth Sterken, MSc Dt, Director INFACT Canada/IBFAN North America
Goals for the three-day training
- increase awareness of the importance of the International Code and relevant World Health Assembly resolutions on infant and young child nutrition as a critical tool to support breastfeeding as the norm for optimal health and development for infants and young children;
- increase capacity to monitor for Code violations and improve enforcement;
- increase political action for governments to regulate the marketing of products covered by the Code and resolutions;
- increase knowledge and implementation of the International Code in health care institutions.
Who should attend
This workshop will be suitable for those working on breastfeeding supports for mothers and babies, those working on the implementation of the BFI in both hospitals and community health settings, those working on breastfeeding support policies at both national and provincial/territorial/state levels, hospital and community health facility administrators, health professional associations working on infant and young child health and nutrition, all those concerned about the need to eliminate commercial interference in infant and young child nutrition.
Tigers, by Oscar-winning director Danis Tanovic, is based on the true story of a former Nestlé baby milk salesman in Pakistan. The salesman takes on the baby milk industry, with the help of IBFAN (the International Baby Food Action Network), when he realises that babies are dying as a result of his work--pressuring doctors to promote formula.
Tigers will be screened during the Code Training.